Saturday, February 5, 2011

Lake Nabugabo "Holiday Spot"

So we are spending two days and three nights at Lake Nabugabo or as the canoes out here say; Lake Nabugabo holiday spot. This place is pretty cool but I would not put it at 'vacationing' level. About twelve of us are tenting in army style tents while the other twenty (myself included) stay in the "lake house" which is an old house on the beach of the lake crammed full of bunk beds. Its kind of a slumber party slash camp experience and I'm really enjoying it.


just hanging out at the "beach house"

So stylish!
The whole place reminds me of cottage country in Ontario except that you can't go swimming in this lake cuz of the shistosomyasis which is a water borne disease. Its ok though, Mom, they do not allow us in the water. There are also BUNCH of different birds like king fishers and other cool huge ones that are so large that you can hear them flap over head! The food here is yummmmaayyy and we get fresh fish every day :) Today my bio class went to another kind of swamp where we had to put on these freaking cool chest waders and collect data from really high mud pits (hence the sexy chest waders)...


The best part about today is that we found a chameleon! They are soooooo cute. We tried to force it (unsucessfully) to change colour. Even though he didn't cooperate hes just about the sweetest little creature ever. There are also so many huge bugs. I'm going crazy but somewhat facing and maybe one day actually getting over my fear. Lake Nabugabo is a cool body of water because it got separated from Lake Victoria (which is the size of Switzerland) and within the last five thousand years there has been rapid evolution in this pond alone cuz it carries species that Lake Victoria does not!

Yaaaa ok I'm a nerdy biologist and this trip has just enhanced tht part of me. Also kinda exciting is that this place is run my the "Church of Uganda" so we eat (by the water side) on table clothes that list the three hundred names of Jesus. Woo. One thing that I've also noticed is that there are LOTS of stars out here... and its absolutely beautiful. Looking at the night sky always reassures me that this is a great and amazing place to choose to come to because I sure would not be seeing any of this in Montreal. Till next time!

The 'Holiday Center's' Yacht
Sunrise after we were woken up by a thunder storm

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments (Disqus)