Thursday, April 7, 2011

School's out for the Summer!


And so, with the completion of our final presentations, our program ended in Zanzibar with the flourish of my signature on the release form. The program CFSIA 2011 is over.  It was two and a half months of intense travel and while it may have felt long and arduous while it was happening, now that it is over, I can only remember the positive experiences that I had.

We were given the chance to express what we felt about this program and I had to echo the sentiments of everyone around me: This program is the way that education should be. It should be hands-on, interdisciplinary,exciting and engaging. I couldn’t have asked for a better semester during my undergraduate experience. Sometimes I think about how I DIDN’T spend this past semester in MTL and it kinda doesn’t seem real to me – I still have a hard time believing that I did a whole semester abroad!

The proof of my experience, however, can be found in the ways that the field school has changed me:

1. I will be a different type of tourist. I will question the places I choose to stay - Who owns the place? Who profits? Who do they employ and how do they treat their employees?

2. I want to learn the stories of the people I talk to: Where did they grow up? Why are they here? What are the biggest challenges they face every day and how are they affected by the government?

3. I will try to educate myself about the place I'm traveling to. After learning the history of everywhere I went, I don't think I can travel again without being somewhat informed.

4. I want to change the way I live. I don't really know how yet, but I have learned that WE as CONSUMERS have a great deal of power. Our money, and what we choose to invest it in, is ultimately US making a choice. I will CHOOSE where I spend my money more carefully and spend it on things I want to support.

I will think critically about my decisions and how they affect global markets and therefore, the global community.

5. I am WAY more inclined to embrace the outdoors. If the goal is to observe the natural beauty of the area: rather than staying in some big hotel, I rather camp on a beach or stay in a small hotel that brings me closer to the things I have come to see.

Never before have I met such a group of characters. That's probably  the best way to describe them. Everyone has a strong personality and are more than willing to share their opinions. Lots of important ideas were exchanged among my group. Whether we were discussing the ethics of giving pens to children in Kibale, or understanding why prostitution is legalized in Amsterdam in the Maasai Mara, this is one very informed group.

While this “exchange of ideas” was super important and engaging, I gotta say that its nice to take a break from it now (and maybe go back home to being the most opinionated/loudest person in my group of friends).

But I can’t wait to see what our reunions will be like. These are the only 37 ppl that will really beable to completely understand the experience I just had, from the Bunduz cooking to swimming in the Indian ocean to walking along the streets of Kibera. And for that, I thank them for their support along this trip and hopefully into the future as well.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments (Disqus)